THE ART OF BOOKS & SMALL PRINT PUBLICATIONS

This is a blog on artist books, artist notebooks, magazines, poetry editions and other small print publications. Like FRIOUR is the Icelandic word for peace, BOKLIST are the Icelandic words for book (bok) and art (list). This is also a group blog in which those who are invited can upload their own books and/or comments.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

SUMMER RITES

Small artist book production by Marilyn Dammann (USA) based on her own nature performance on her rebirth as a new woman from the pond on the domain of Richard Campbell, Vietnam veteran and close friend. The year was 1995.

I met Marilyn in 1995-1996-1997-1998 and Richard in 1995 & 1997.

Now both of my friends went to the other side of the road, there where time does not exist (as Danielle Verté said so comfortingly)

Size: 14 X 11 cm

Pages: 16

I was so moved by the performance in the pond I wrote a cycle of poems and made a book edition in which I reproduced Richard's photos on a bigger size.

The edition was a tribute to people who I really loved and admired and united Marilyn who did the performance, Richard who took the photos, me who wrote the poems and Liza Leyla who made the French translations of the original poems (written in Ducth and translated by me also in English).

Size: 21 X 29,5 cm

Pages: 32

Front cover with photo by me of Marilyn during a Sun Set at Eagle River in 1995.


Back cover of the edition (103 copies, why 103 I don't know or remember)

One of the photos of the performance

"I have translated her bodice into land.

She has abolished the borders and explains that there is nothing to declare during my stay on her domain. Here you don't need a dictionnary, she says. Trespass me as an open book and with the transparency of water we'll create a new language. " (GV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home