THE ART OF BOOKS & SMALL PRINT PUBLICATIONS

This is a blog on artist books, artist notebooks, magazines, poetry editions and other small print publications. Like FRIOUR is the Icelandic word for peace, BOKLIST are the Icelandic words for book (bok) and art (list). This is also a group blog in which those who are invited can upload their own books and/or comments.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

IFW Carving Challenge Booklets


I started carving and printing linoleum and wood blocks in elementary school and then studied traditional Japanese woodblock carving in my late teens and early 20's. When I got into mail art many years ago, I started carving erasers instead and found my true carving calling. Now I carve everything from shaped erasers to sheet soft block material up to 9 x 12 inches. Most of my carvings are stamps which I use to make stamped collages but in recent years I've also done many carvings of the size I'm going to print. I make Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) and Artistamps so I've carved many blocks to fit those sizes (2.5 x 3.5 inches for ATCs and anything from 1 x 1 inch up to 4 x 4 inches for artistamps). A group I'm in now has challenged me to do 8.5 x 11 inch prints so I've been carving 9 x 12 inch blocks the past few months.

Besides carving, I love trading art made from carved stamps and I participate in several online groups where I host and/or join carving swaps and trades. Recently, I started a new ongoing project involving carving called Images to Fit the Word (IFW). This project involves a series of carving challenges based on specific words and, for each challenge, the participants are asked to carve a stamp or stamps which include both a word and an illustration of that word. The first two have been completed on the themes of RAK (random act of kindness) and PEACE. Come take a look at the results at the following URLS:

The IFW RAK Challenge Booklet

The IFW PEACE Challenge Booklet

The current challenge is on the theme HOME and the deadline is September 30, 2005 so the booklet for HOME will be ready sometime in October. If you are a soft block carver and would like to participate in this, or future, challenges, please contact me at carla cryptic at yahoo dot com and put IFW somewhere in the subject line.

The majority of the IFW Challenge participants to date have been members of two soft block carving groups called The Carving Consortium and EraserCuts. To find out more about these groups, or to join them, visit the following URLS:

The Carving Consortium Forum

EraserCut Exchange at Yahoo Groups

Please note that all images in all of the booklets are copyright 2005 by the individual artists and that the IFW Challenge concept and design are copyright 2005 by Carla Cryptic and Petal Post Press.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger James said…

    Looking for Booklet Printing? PrintingBlue offers Online Booklet Printing Services, Full Color Booklet Printing, and Booklet Design

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Angelina Dom said…

    Booklets are easy and effective source to market any kind of business easily. For this purpose you should hire an awesome printing services company to fulfill your needs.
    carbonless forms printing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home